Wooden or Painted Shutters – which is right for your home?
Bespoke Shutters supply and install the full range of interior window shutters including wooden shutters, painted shutters, plantation shutters and solid shutters.
Natural wooden shutters
To add a fresh, contemporary feel to your home’s interior, replace those tired old net curtains with natural wooden shutters. With their clean straight lines, these stylish window treatments look fabulous and will offset any room design whether it is traditional or modern.
Our made to measure service will ensure that your natural wooden shutters are designed to fit your window openings exactly. Whether you opt for solid or plantation shutters, this treatment will not only enhance the look and feel of your home from the inside, but when closed they will add to its presence from the outside, increasing its curb appeal.
Our natural wooden shutters are made from cedar wood. The rich colour of cedar and its straight grain produces wonderful plantation shutters or solid shutters that truly beautiful to look at. They are the perfect choice when it comes to giving your home a warm, modern feel that won't go out of fashion.
Wooden shutters – click here to view our range
Depending on the product you order, our interior shutters can be painted or stained to the colour of your choice. We have seven shades of white and seventeen natural stains including pine, beech, chestnut, walnut, mahogany and teak amongst others.
For a more colourful option, we can also supply painted shutters in any of the Dulux colour range.
Painted shutters – click here to view our range
Which to choose
The finish you choose is of course entirely up to you but it will largely be dictated by the rest of the interior décor. We do however, have a few pointers that may help you to make the right decision.
- Wooden shutters work very well in more rustic style properties including barn and warehouse conversions. They can also look great in a country style kitchen.
- Painted white shutters, regardless of shade, are a good choice for contemporary airy rooms and painted white plantation shutters look great in conservatories.
- Painted shutters can look great done in colour too, matching colours with other aspects of the room.
- If you plan to install shutters in harsher environments like bathrooms or wet rooms, we would advise that the shutters you use, be constructed of engineered woods which are polymer coated. This material is stain and water resistant so it is ideal for these situations but unfortunately it can't be painted.
- If choosing a custom colour, whichever colour you choose will then dictate the colour scheme for that room for quite some time. So be sure that it is a colour that you are going to be happy working with, in the months and years to come!
Maintenance of your shutters
Shutter maintenance, whether painted or natural, is so easy it puts curtains, drapes and nets to shame. You don’t have to worry about taking them down, transporting them to the dry cleaners and rehanging them on their return; or the security implications of having nothing up at the windows while they’re being cleaned.
All that is required to maintain your shutters in perfect condition is the occasional wipe down with a damp cloth. In particularly dusty areas or if your home fronts onto a busy road, you may wish to follow this up with a dry cloth wipe down. This will prevent dust and dirt particles from settling once more.
Painted shutters will not need repainting for many years.
For more help in choosing the right blinds and shutters for your home, please contact us